Lino printing – continuing on from Experiments with Printing and Painting

This post starts as a very short and brief one on the 4 February 2016 and will no doubt expand over the coming days or weeks as I experiment and learn a very new technique.

Having read and heard about lino printing I was unsure whether it would be something I felt I would be able to use and was even unsure whether I was interested in the technique. However I decided to join a Facebook group and see what others did after seeing a You Tube video another OCA student had posted – the group was initially to watch and learn and decide whether it was something I wanted to try and suffice to say my interest was peaked and one very basic starter set duly arrived.


The kit contained a roller, tray, basic cutting tools, ink and some soft cut and harder lino …. very basic but ideal for a total beginner!

Oh it also contained a hand guard – after more than a couple of accidents with rotary cutters in quilting this is going to be one very well used piece of equipment!

The cutting tools are reasonable albeit slighting infuriating as the numbers are not terribly clear (that may get resolved somehow) and with only one handle it is an immediate hassle to keep changing when I wanted to try different marks – for a few months at least until I see just how much I do this form of printing they will do the job.

dartmoor meI had a brief trial of all the cutting blades on a spare piece of lino and then decided to take a favoured watercolour painting of Dartmoor and see what exactly I could do.

Keeping in mind the lessons of Part Two I obviously could not use colour as my focus so decided to emphasis the textures of the landscape by using a variety of marks and allowed me to experiment with the different blades.


This is the third print taken from the block and I am more than happy with it!  I tried using straight and curved lines and cuts of different depths to produce texture and depth to the piece.

One of the lessons learnt was simply getting the ink smooth enough in the tray – sounds simple but worth learning as too think and it would not produce a smooth outcome.

The handle of the cutting blades becomes a brayer when the base is screwed on (and the base is also a holder for the blades) but I preferred immediately to simply use an old spoon as I have seen in videos – works well for me so far.

Overall a simple experiment with a very new kit and am already looking to get some printer medium so that I can try different colours with acrylic paint (I now have some decent quality ones that I can use for printing).  I am also curious to see how lino printing works on fabric too and how I can use it.

Now to get some more lino!


This entry was posted in Coursework, Part 2, Sketchbook Work and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s